Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Family Ministry


We are trying something new at our church on Wed nights. We are intentionally trying to create environments where moms, dads and kids are TOGETHER. Sometimes it's for worship, sometimes to serve others, other times to just play together. As a dad of young children, this makes sense to me. We all know they grow up fast, but we rarely do much to capture the time we have with them. I want my family time to be much more than an occasional event or vacation. I want a rhythm of quality time together. And I want it for other parents as well...even if they don't see the need for it.

Tonight was good. It was simple. Families bringing and preparing gifts for the teachers who teach in the school near our church building. It's worth it for the time with our kids, and it's worth it for application of thinking outside of ourselves. It's one thing to talk about blessing others, and it's another thing to do it.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Mike! So glad to see you in the Blogosphere. I love blogging. I just read all your posts. It's neat to hear your thoughts. I still remember when your Dad got sick. I still try to figure out all the reasons why God allowed my Mama to die so young. I think I know one - it makes me appreciate life so much more. Anyway, I hope you'll keep it up. You and Meredith are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad Nick sent this to me! I can't wait until our kids are old enough so that we too can participate in the family ministry on Wednesday nights. Until then...I will just be enjoying and cherishing all these moments as they grow!

    ReplyDelete